draft ethical principles of robotics:
- Robots are multi-use tools. Robots should not be designed solely or primarily to kill or harm humans, except in the interests of national security.
- Humans, not robots, are responsible agents. Robots should be designed & operated as far as is practicable to comply with existing laws and fundamental rights & freedoms, including privacy.
- Robots are products. They should be designed using processes which assure their safety and security.
- Robots are manufactured artefacts. They should not be designed in a deceptive way to exploit vulnerable users; instead their machine nature should be transparent.
- The person with legal responsibility for a robot should be attributed.
to comment on these:
please add a comment at the end of this blog post: Revising Asimov: the Ethical Roboticist.
further information and links:
Full statement of ethical principles drafted by EPSRC/AHRC working group
EPSRC press release Leading scientists consider the ethics of robots